Class Pet!?!?

WOW did we have an exciting thing happen today!  This afternoon we're going about our business, working on our apple books (another post about them soon) when someone from the office brought a package to our class . . . 

Immediately one of the students read that the box said "LIVE ANIMAL" and chaos ensued.  I actually almost dropped and caught the box (honestly totally by accident) but the kids thought the box had moved suddenly and went crazy!  One of my little cuties was even a little nervous of the unknown, live animal in the box.
(I love this picture! They were trying to see in to the little air holes...)
One of the students suggested we get in a circle (so everyone could see) to open it.  Before we opened it I asked them what they thought it might be.  They were stuck on birds so we had ideas like a parrot, a canary, even a vampire bat (hey, it's October).  Then a boy thought it could be a snake and everyone screamed!  Finally I cut the box open and let one of my students finish the process!
After we read the enclosed note we voted on a name - the winner was County Line Monkey.  We are going to call him CL for short.
Per the instructions he did have to go home with someone today and I can't wait to hear all about his first trip home with somebody.  When they come back next week we'll let him read about their adventures together!

I cannot take credit for this idea - I got it from Regan Tunstall who is basically the master of first grade!  I'm really excited to use it this year :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment