Guided Reading Things

Guided reading is in full swing!  I absolutely love this small-group time with my students.  They are fully involved in Daily 5 and I can focus (with the help of a fabulous parent volunteer or two, or six) on my reading group.

One of the big focus points for our school is incorporating writing along with our reading.  In order to accomplish this my students have to respond to their book in some way.  One of the easiest ways to do that is to use a graphic organizer.  I will pre-print multiple copies of various organizers so that I have them on hand.  I actually three-hold punch them and keep them all in my guided reading binder!  Click here to see other posts I have done that show my guided reading organizers.

To get these sheets click here to go to my TPT store

Click here to get a free copy of this sheet

Magic Tree House #27: Thanksgiving on Thursday is one of my favorite books to use at the time of the year.  Not only does it give us a good view at what life was like during the time of the Pilgrims, but the kids LOVE Magic Tree House books and so they can't wait to continue reading it!  
For guided reading I use it with a more independent group. This is the first time I use a chapter book with them for guided reading.  While most of the time I use a graphic organizer or notebook response to respond, for this book I use a packet.  
Since this is their first experience with locating specific information within the text I like to give them multiple choice questions.  They also encounter a fair amount of vocabulary in this book so I have them focus on specific vocabulary words from each chapter.  

You can get this packet in my TPT shop

No comments:

Post a Comment